Magda Faijes CV
CURRICULUM VITAE (2021)
Magda Faijes, Laboratory of Biochemistry
Bioengineering Department, Institut Químic de Sarrià, Universitat Ramon Llull
Via Augusta 390, 08017 Barcelona, Spain
Tel: +34-932672000, e-mail: firstname.lastname@example.org
Institut Químic de Sarrià (IQS) Chemistry B.S. 1996
University of Ramon Llull (IQS) Engineering Chemistry B.S 1997
Institut Químic de Sarrià (IQS) Food Chemistry and Engineering MSc 1998
University of Ramon Llull (IQS) Chemistry Ph.D. 2003
2011-present Coordinator of the MSc in Bioengineering, Institut Químic de Sarrià – University of Ramon Llull
2010-present Associate Professor, Institut Químic de Sarrià – University of Ramon Llull
2005-present Member of Biological Chemistry and Biotechnology Group, URL (2017 SGR 727)
2004-2009 Assistant Professor, Institut Químic de Sarrià – University of Ramon Llull
2003-2004 Postdoctoral fellow, Top Institute of Food Nutrition (former called Wageningen Center for Food Sciences), The Netherlands
2003-2009 Board member of the Chemists Association of Institut Químic de Sarrià (AIQS)
2002-2010 Scientic member of Food Professional Group of AIQS and organizing committee
1998-2003 PhD fellow, IQS(Barcelona) and CERMAV-CNRS (Grenoble, France)
C. Publications (full list Google Scholar Citations)
(i) Five recent relevant publications
C. Alsina, E. Sancho-Vaello, A. Aranda-Martínez, M. Faijes, A. Planas. Auxiliary active site mutations enhance the glycosynthase activity of a GH18 chitinase for polymerization of chitooligosaccharides. Carbohydr. Polym. 252, 117121 (2021)
N. Orive-Milla, T. Demulle, M. de Mey, M. Faijes, A Planas. Metabolic engineering for glycoglycerolipids production in E. coli: tuning phosphatidic acid and UDP-glucose pathways. Metabolic Eng. 61, 106-119 (2020)
C. Alsina., M. Faijes, A. Planas. Glycosynthase-type GH18 mutant chitinases at the assisting catalytic residue for polymerization of chitooligosaccharides. Carbohydrate Research 478, 1-9 (2019)
V. Codera, K.J. Edgar, M. Faijes, A. Planas. Functionalized celluloses with regular substitution pattern by glycosynthase-catalyzed polymerization. Biomacromolecules, 17,1272-9 (2016).
C. Val-Cid, X. Biarnés, M. Faijes, A. Planas. Structural-functional analysis reveals a specific domain organization in family GH20 hexosaminidases. PLoS One 10, 5 (2015).
(ii) Recent review publications
M. Faijes, M. Castejón, C.Val-Cid, A. Planas. Enzymatic and cell factory approaches to the production of human milk oligosaccharides. Biotechnol. Adv. 37, 667-697 (2019).
A. Planas, M. Faijes, V. Codera. When enzymes do it better: enzymatic glycosylation methods. In Carbohydrates Chemistry: State-of-the-art and challenges for drug development (L. Cipolla, Ed.), Imperial College Press, London, July 2015, ISBN: 9781783267194
D. Synergistic activities
1. Program coordinator: MS Program in Bioengineering (2011-present).
2. Member of Scientific societies: Chemists Association of the Institut Químic de Sarrià (AIQS) (2003-2009 Board member), Food Professional Group of AIQS (scientific member and organizer meetings (2002-2010), Food Sciences Association of Societat Catalana de Química (2010 – present).
3. Awards: Doctoral fellowship from Instituto Danone (1998-2002), Postdoctoral fellowship from Institut Químic de Sarrià (2003-2004). Visiting Professorship from Obra Social La Caixa at Center for Synthetic Biology of the Ghent University (Belgium) with Prof. Marjan de Mey (2014). Award from the Catalan Association of Scientific Communication for the work of the dissemination of scientific research: Proteins and carbohydrates: Very human relationships (Faijes, 2004). Award from the European University of Applied Sciences Fresenius (Germany) for the best master thesis that was carried out by Alexandra Parich under the direction of Dr. Faijes and Dr. Planas (Parich, 2006). Salvador Gil’s award from the Chemists Association of IQS for the best master’s thesis of the Department of Bioengineering that was performed by Marc Caballé under the direction of Dra. Faijes, Dra. de Mey, Dr. Planas (Caballé, 2017).
4. Organizer International Symposia, including: EUROCARB2017 (European Carbohydrate Symposium), Barcelona 2017, Food Studies on Health and Chemistry: Healthy Ingredients, Barcelona,(April 2008, 2006, 2004), Workshop on Foods for XXI Century: Bioactive Proteins and Prebiotics as Functional Ingredients, organized by Food Professional Group of AIQS and the European project Early Nutrition Programming for Adulth Health in Barcelona (October 2005), Sweeteners in Food Industry (Barcelona, 2002) and News on fats and oils (Barcelona, 2002).
5. Reviewer for leading journal including Analytical Biochemistry, Macromolecular Bioscience, Biocatalysis.
6. Member of collaborative European projects: NANO3BIO (NanoBioEngineering of BioInspired BioPolymers, FP7, 2013-17); CHITOBIOENGINEERING (Metabolic and Enzyme Engineering for the Biotechnological Production of Partially Acetylated Chitosans, ERA-IB, 2011-14); EDEN (Enzyme discovery in hybrid aspen for fiber engineering, FP5, 2001-05); and National projects (MINECO, Spain) since 1993 (series of 3y projects).
7. Teaching: a) Chemistry Degree, IQS, URL: Biochemistry (3rd course),; b) Degree in Biotechnology, IQS, URL: Metabolism and regulation (2nd course), Protein Engineering (3rd course), Interdisciplinary Seminars (4th course), c) Masters in Bioengineering: Biomolecules (1st semester), Synthetic Biology (2nd semester).
E. Collaborators and other affiliations
(i) Collaborators (current): Dr. Kevin Edgar (Virginia Tech), Dr. Marjan DeMey (Univ. Ghent, Belgium), Dr. Regis Faure (INSA, Toulouse), Dr. Harry Gilbert (Newcastle, UK), Dr. Carme Rovira (Univ. of Barcelona).
(ii) PhD thesis advisor and other graduate student programs
4 PhD thesis (1995-2020). 2 PhD thesis on going. 21 Master thesis.